What About School?

00:56


Cheesy as it may seem, but time does fly fast. Nine months ago, I was feeling so nervous to start my first year in college and now, I can finally say I have survived it. I, too, cannot believe that I survived two stressful semesters - college isn't as easy as I expected. So how did I do it? Here are 10 helpful tips that I did the whole school year.

Disclaimer: I am no expert in telling tips and tricks but here are some that helped me the most. 


I reckon this is the most important thing of all. Being organized means you are able to keep up with the amount of learning you get everyday, as you show it on how you store and organize your lessons, notes, and handouts. So how do I do it? 


Sort your papers/handouts by subject/course. I also use colorful paper clamps.


Put them, in a nice bag, of course! I sort mine according to the days I take them. 


As for the notebooks, I also have my days separated. It is easier to check notes if you have them sorted on the days you take them.

An addition with this is if you keep some files in your laptop, make sure to sort them by course/subject as well. In this way, you won't find it hard to look for files when you need them.



Exams are indeed the most stressful part of each semester: you have to review for each course and comply with the professors' requirements at the same time. I do not really know my study habit but this is how I do it. (This may or may not apply to you.) 


As most of you would prefer re-reading notes and textbooks, I learn more by rewriting everything. Not really everything, but the most important bits and highlights that are needed to be studied. I've been practicing this since high school and it has been effective to me. I remember more when I write.


Even one of my professors prefer writing our homework instead of copying and pasting everything, and printing it afterwards. He believes that students get to read the material as they write them; therefore, they get to be familiarized with the topic - which is true! I use different colorful pens to remove the monotonous colors of black and white. Those are my favorite colors but who wants to read a boring reviewer? The pop of color adds more fun! 


That's how I do it! I write reviewers for each subject and review them the night before the examination day. Here's a tip: start rewriting your notes 3-5 days prior to the examination week. Do not write it the night before! You will just cram on writing, without learning. Plus, it feels better to know that you only have to reread your reviewer the night before the exam - less stress! 



You don't want to just rely on your handouts, right? Sometimes, professors share helpful information and terms about a topic; do not let those information go as they might come in handy during quizzes or exams. Feeling lazy in jotting down notes is inevitable but trust me, the next time you take a test, you won't be clueless with some topics anymore. 

Print handouts - always. Relying on your phone during discussions won't be as helpful. You will miss the chance of writing notes. In  some cases, professors let you use your handout during quizzes; however, phones aren't allowed. You don't want to fail a test, right? It maybe costly to print handouts but it will be worth it. 



Back in high school, I became too afraid to come out of my shell and share my interests by joining clubs. So upon enrolling in college, I promised myself to be brave and join organizations. I'm pretty sure your school offers them too. This school year, I joined my school's student publication, LAVOXA.


Here, I did not only share my skills in writing and taking photos but also, I've met some of the best people that helped me survive my first year in college. Apply for the org was a big step, and getting accepted is an achievement. Nothing feels better than seeing your work published - on paper. I wouldn't have been okay during my lowest times if I didn't choose to stay in the publication's office, where I found myself laughing during my stay. 

Joining an organization has led me to amazing workshops and places, and helped me conquer my fear of sharing my skills. If your school gives you an opportunity like this, don't hesitate to join, for it would be one of the best decisions you will make. 



The library has got to be one of the best places to study and find good sources that will support your research paper. 


Here's a view from one of the discussion rooms in the college library. My friends and I like to reserve one so we can study and discuss the lessons together. Studying with friends isn't bad; however, don't forget that your goal is to study, not to talk about irrelevant  gossips. 



I will leave this one to be too vague. It is up to you on how you will interpret it. I've done my exploration by going around the school and finding places where I can be at peace. To start this exploration, you have to be confident and friendly - two things I am doubtful of myself about. I am not that confident and friendly. 

Exploring your school and meeting new friends will help you adjust with the transition of being a high school student to being in college. 



This tip has got to be one of the most important things to do in school. Making a list of the things you need to do will help you get in track in accomplishing them. Trust me, the feeling of putting a check on your to-do list is divine. 


Believe it or not, my closet ended up looking like this after the second semester. (I won't show you guys the others anymore). 



I like it when I am reminded of the things I need to do, and I make sure that I accomplish everything on the day I set it and before going to sleep. Lists makes you feel obliged into doing something; thus, making you finish everything early. Leaving small notes and reminders are fun!


To help you with your reminders, use post-it's, labeled papers, index cards, and pens. You won't be the forgetful and procrastinating student anymore! 




A project that's due next week? Do it the night before the deadline! Finals next month? Study the night before! We students have all experienced that. It's stressful, right? Getting out of the pit of procrastination may be hard but it's not bad to try. Start doing things little by little and the next thing you'll know, you're done with everything. Students are the best procrastinators but if you learn to say no to it, your stress will be lessened and you get better quality on your output, especially on projects.



Say good bye to checking how many likes you got on Instagram and how many favorites your selfie had gotten on Twitter every few minutes! Learn how to be focused so you can accomplish tasks faster. If you would just let hindrances and distractions like your social media accounts get in the way, you will only lack time in studying and it will affect the number of hours for your sleep. I know sleeping for 8 hours in college is hard but it is better to get some rather than spending an all-nighter just because you were too distracted when you still had time.

Studying for 3 straight hours can be very boring. So, learn how to reward yourself by taking a break: eat a snack, watch your favorite show, or take a short nap. Rewarding yourself can also be done by buying new clothes, or spending a day out with your friends, after a very stressful semester. For my case, I don't really reward myself after getting good grades or having a good semester. I only do this when I am sad and cannot handle stressful moments anymore: I eat a lot. 



Your inspiration can either be your parents, your family, your special someone, or any one at all. 

As for friends, you can't survive school without the help of a good friend. You may start off with 2-4 friends but what matters the most the quality, not the quantity. Being friends with a few or a lot of people is good, especially when you have problems. Make sure that these persons will help you become a better you, and won't lead you to trouble. You may have problems along the way but it feels good to stay with the same group of friends as you end the semester that you started together. 




That's it for this blog post! I hope my tips has helped you somehow, and has moved you in becoming a better student. School may become boring but remember: you benefit from it. You learn and experience lessons that will surely help you become a better person, once you get your diploma and set forth into the world. 

Feel free to comment and share some things you do that helps you in school! :) 

- the chalkboard texture's from yeahps.tumblr.com

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe