Something New: Calligraphy

08:32



If you haven't noticed it yet (if you don't follow my social media accounts), I am into a new hobby: calligraphy. I've always wanted to try this however, I didn't have the time and right tools. Early this year, I decided to finally give something to myself: I bought two brush pens. I didn't get to use them for a long time, though. I also found it a bit hard to use since it was something new, a thing I want to learn.




Utilizing what I already had, I decided to use my Prang watercolor and a few brushes instead. Getting the hang of using a brush in writing is a bit hard but with enough practice, you'll get used to it. This photo is an example of how my days go now: I usually spent a lot of time sitting down, practicing how to write. 

Still clueless, I  don't really know if what I'm doing is calligraphy itself. Before I went on with using a brush and watercolor, I used to cheat calligraphy. It's a good practice, nevertheless. Grabbing a ballpoint pen, writing in cursive, and thickening the sides of the letters is how I used to do it. In this way, you are practiced with the swirls and you become more familiarized with the fancy cursive writing.


I am looking forward to having a dip pen soon and learn more. For now, I have to practice with what I have. Hopefully, I would be able to buy calligraphy/writing books too. If you're a beginner like me, I recommend reading blogs with a calligraphy content and looking up for the alphabet. It helps! 

Here are two of my latest works: I decided to write with acrylic paint. It's a bit hard to work on since it's thick but I'm satisfied with how it turned out!

Became a bit cheesy with this one: my boyfriend was the first
person that came in my mind when I read this quote.
One of my favorite quotes. Everyone should live by it.
What are your insights with calligraphy? Do you plan on doing it too?
P.S. Sorry if the photos are blurry; they were taken with my phone and I had to
make them large so it would be easier to see.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe